Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Exploring Painting (1)

Exploring Painting (1)

Subject matter

My initial two studies have followed my theme of the effect of humans on the landscape.

a) Old Jetty

The first study involves the remains of an old jetty outside the lock gates at the mouth of the River Ancholme where the river meets the Humber Estuary. The jetty has played an important part in the history of the site as it was the place where ships would wait for passengers and cargo and for the lock gates to open. Now it is derelict and abandoned, but it invokes memories of times gone by and the importance of the river to the local economy.

I initially did a quick study as an experiment for a larger, more detailed piece of work (see blog entry for 24th January, 2019). I thought that the first attempt was a good start, but the colours were too soft and pale and the image lacked detail.

 
First study, January, 2019

For my experiment this time I wanted to explore the colours further and the techniques involved in the painting of it.  I had also collected a number of grasses from the site which I had kept in my studio. This meant that I was able to look at the actual grasses which featured in the picture whilst I was painting.

 
Studio with grasses from site
 
I sketched out the outline of the main features in a neutral burnt umber shade of acrylic paint, trying to capture the bleakness of the site and the relationship of it to the rest of the river/estuary and its banks.
 
 
Initial painted sketch

 

 
 
Underpainting
 
I then made an underpainting to establish broad areas of tone and colour.
 
 
Final painting
 

In the final stage I added more colour and detail.
 
Outcome
 
The final painting is much more accomplished than the first study which I did in December/January and I learned a lot during the process. It was very helpful to sketch out the main features first in monochrome. This stage gave me the opportunity to get to know the image in more depth and gave me a guide to follow without having to think yet about colour. It was also a good idea to block out large areas of colour next, as this focused my mind on the key elements and how I wanted the paints to reflect the nature of the landscape from a colour point of view. The preparation enabled me to be more confident to proceed to the final version, having already put in the ground work. I enhanced the colours and added detail. Being able to look at the actual grasses in my studio helped give authenticity to the work. I used acrylic paint which was helpful in that it dries quickly.
 
b) Old River Ancholme
 
One of my first visits to the site was in autumn 2018 when I saw the route of the Old River Ancholme. Looking towards the river I could see the overhead chute taking clay from the nearby quarry to the cement works. The sun shone on the vibrant autumn colours of the plants growing alongside the path of the river. I thought about the contrast of human activity and commerce with the peace and serenity of the river scene. I decided to capture the image in paint.
 
I did an initial first study in January, 2019, but I felt that the colours were too gaudy and the painting too rough and lacking detail.

 
 
First study, January, 2019
 
For my next exploration of this scene I wanted to work on the things I learned from my first attempt.  I still wanted to capture the impression of the sun on the autumn foliage but without the sharpness of the colours I had used the first time around. I also aimed to put in more detail, particularly in the foreground where the first study was quite vague. In fact I had not managed to convey the idea of reflections in the shallow water, which I now felt was important to include.
 
To start with I sketched in the key features of the image with a tonal sketch in burnt umber and yellow ochre to give me a guide and to provide the background vibrancy I was looking for.
 
 
Tonal sketch
 
I then added further colour and detail in an underpainting which set out the main elements of the image and background colours for me to build up in the final stages.
 
 
Underpainting
 
As with the jetty scene I looked at the grasses in my studio as I worked which assisted with the shapes and textures of the plants. The underpainting highlighted areas of bright sunshine and parts of the scene which were in dark shade which I was then able to emphasise. I concentrated on the detail of the path of the river as it wound under a huge pipe and the overhead factory chute. I tried to capture the way the light caught the river and the reflections in the foreground.
 
 
Final painting
 
Outcome
 
The second work explores the use of colour in greater depth. I put more thought into the choice of colours and their application. As a result of the tonal and underpainting processes I was able to capture the areas of light and shade better and the outcome has more depth. The foreground is much improved and the reflections are quite successful. I think that the key message I gained from this experiment is to paint what I see and not to try and capture the textures etc. of the image through the way I paint. I still felt that the colours were too bright. I used acrylic paint for this painting as I had done for the painting of the old jetty, and I wondered if it was the right medium.
 
Future work
 
After discussion with my tutor, I think that I now need to build on these experiments by concentrating on the following key areas:
 
- Using a tonal ground as a base for any painting as this provides a good foundation or reference point for lighter and darker areas. This is preferable than working straight onto a white canvas.
 
- Explore how I can paint by looking more at the subject matter and reflecting what I see in painted shapes rather than trying to copy texture. 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment