Friday, April 3, 2020

Painting: Scott Street Bridge

Painting: Scott Street Bridge

 
Scott Street Bridge (finished painting)
Introduction

In my last post I explained how I was working on three large canvases. After sketching them all out I decided to concentrate on Scott Street Bridge. I was finding that painting three works simultaneously was very off-putting. I have decided that my way of working lends itself better to really concentrating on one at a time. This way I can really get to grips with the subject matter and become immersed in it.

The painting

Stage 1

My initial sketch was a very rough outline of the structure of the bridge. At this point all I was wanting to achieve was to get the positioning and dimensions right. I could then build up the picture from there.


Stage 2

I concentrated on the background buildings and the middle distance. I wanted to ensure that the scale of the objects behind the open leaves of the bridge helped to enhance the dominance of the bridge over the river and surrounding landscape. I was keen to do justice to its function as a feat of engineering and the magnificence of this Grade II listed structure -  which is about to be removed from the scene and disappear forever.


Stage 3

The next stage was to outline the detail of the structure, such as the railings and underneath mechanisms. This was tricky as it involved not only correctly replicating the structure, but also conveying the character of the bridge and the atmosphere the scene impressed upon me.  I wanted to convey my own sentiments to the viewer. The bridge had a sort of red glow in the soft winter sunlight. I also had to decide on the negative space and paint in the reflections on the water. I altered the foreground to better inform the side angle of the left leaf of the bridge.


Final Version

I added to the negative space and reflections to provide a better focal point leading through the open bridge. I sharpened up a number of tonal qualities and added the buddleia sprouting from the crevices on the left side.

 
Final version
 
Summary and conclusions
 
The main lesson I learned from this painting was the importance of good use of negative space. Once I added to the light on the river at the final stage the whole painting came alive. It gave the image dynamism and strengthened the focal point. I also learned the skill of perseverance, because I found this painting very difficult and had to really stick at it. I think that the work of Charles Sheeler had a large influenced on me during the creative process.

No comments:

Post a Comment