Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Printmaking: Working with Natural Pigments

Printmaking: Working with Natural Pigments

Introduction



My walk - Entrance to the Market Weighton Canal from the Humber Estuary

Whilst in "lockdown" due to the Corona Virus pandemic, I have been going for more walks in my locality.

My art work centres on the links between human activity and the natural environment. Recently I have been thinking about how I could introduce natural objects into my printmaking practice through the use of natural pigments.

I decided to explore whether I could use the natural pigments found in the flowers and leaves of wild flowers and plants which grow near to the river banks which have been the focus of my interest.

Process

On a walk along the banks of the Humber Estuary I picked a collection of wild flowers and leaves (see below).



The bunch included dandelions, buttercups, dock leaves, clover and cow parsley. I then chose two aquatints that I had previously done which had associations with the Humber. I took a bunch of each of the flowers/plants and squeezed and wiped them onto clean printing paper, trying to follow the shapes of the image.

 
Natural pigments applied (1)
 
 
Natural pigments applied (2)
 
I then dampened the paper by using a spray on the reverse and printed the aquatint prints over the top of the natural pigments. the outcome is shown below.
 
 
Drypool (print 1)
 
 
Bollard (print 2)
 
Summary
 
Natural pigments from flowers and plants can be used to add colour to prints. It is a relatively accessible and easy  process. In relation to my work the process was an added link to nature and natural objects. I am not sure how long the colours will last, and they will probably fade quite quickly - hopefully leaving a subtle and attractive residue of colour. Also, the aquatint hid some of the pigment. If I were to do the process again, I think that a drypoint, or another form of printmaking where more blank paper is revealed would help the colours to come through. It was a good exercise, and something to try again in the future.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment