Saturday, March 20, 2021

Painting; "Lifebuoy"

 Painting; "Lifebuoy"


Lifebuoy, oil on canvas, 30in x 40in (76cm x 102cm)

Background and Context

I am continuing to explore painting on larger canvases and colour, using a brighter palette. During my research, I have looked at the palette used by John Singer Sargent for his landscapes. I found examples of works by Sargent where his use of colour in sun and shade was very relevant to my work. I illustrate “The Black Brook” by way of example (see below). I like the way that the dark depths of the water spring out into the bright sunshine, and the grassy, sunlit bank includes colours which are both soft, but also shimmer in the light. The palette is very “English” (even though Sargent travelled widely and painted many views of Continental Europe).

The “English” factor is important to me as if I get the colours wrong, for example too bright, then I could end up with a Mediterranean feel.


John Singer Sargent, The Black Brook, c. 1908, oil on canvas

Another artist who captures the unique colours of the English coast and countryside is Dame Laura Knight (1877-1970). At an early stage in her career Knight painted startling views of the Cornish Coast, often on the cliff edge with a figure looking out. In The Cornish Coast (below), the light on the figures and rocks is subtly bright and atmospheric, whilst the sky remains cloudy with a lot of grey and intermittent blue. I think that you get this sort of effect very much in England, and I have tried to emulate this result in “Lifebuoy”.









 



Laura Knight,  The Cornish Coast, National Museum Wales, National Museum Cardiff

As I moved onto a larger canvas, I had to “scale up” the sketch and oil study I had done earlier (see images below). This gave me the opportunity to widen the viewpoint and open up the composition. I set out to capture the vast horizon of the Humber Estuary, and maximise the shadows in the foreground.

        Sketch for “Lifebuoy” painting

       Oil Study for “Lifebuoy” painting

Process

I used the same palette as previously. I also followed a similar process of working from dark to light and then adding detail. I painted the water in one session, allowing the paint to drip and drizzle in appropriate places. I added some highlights to the water at the end of the painting process, e.g. at the foot of the bank (see below).















Detail -water dribbling and highlights added

In the distance the north bank of the Humber tails off into infinity, and this aspect is a crucial part of the composition. The suggestion of an horizon is enough to evoke the scale and vastness of the view.  


Detail – suggestion of the horizon in the distance

The strong sunlight created interesting shadows in the foreground. I had evoked these in the sketch and study. When I came to paint the view on a much larger scale the shadows took on greater importance. I therefore used my artistic judgment to add some tree shadows and elongate the shadows inwards from the grasses on the side of the bank. The image below shows the painting before I added the “extra” shadows. I had been on a walk along the bank of the Humber that day (different location) and noticed the tree shadows en route, which gave me the idea. I think that the additional tonal elements and shapes provided by the shadows adds to the composition and provides more foreground interest.

 

   Before the addition of tree and grassy shadows in the foreground


Lifebuoy, final painting

Outcome

The large canvas gave me the opportunity to widen the viewpoint and explore the use of a vast horizon, as in some of the works of Anselm Kiefer. I continued to experiment with a warmer and livelier palette, and as a result I was able to portray the bright colours of the spring grass and deep shadows as I remembered them. Looking at the colours used by Singer Sargent and Laura Knight helped me to focus on expressing the “Englishness” of the view and the subtle light in the sky and water. I used the painting techniques of dribbling for the loose expressions of water, which I had discovered during my research into Peter Doig and Michael Andrews.

 











No comments:

Post a Comment