Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Solway

 Solway


Solway, oil on canvas, 60cm x 84cm

Solway is a new oil painting inspired by my travels to Scotland last year. The large estuary and vast expanse of water reminded me of the Humber. However, the place had a very different feel. On this side of the country the sun sets of course in the west, giving the sky and reflections a different orientation. The surrounding coastline was very rugged and I felt deep in the heart of the Scottish landscape.

On my visit a storm was brewing. The wind was whipping up and the sky was full of movement. The light shone down on the water and rocky outlets, parts of which were covered in grass or bright green moss. The rain came down wetting the sand.  Gusts blew fiercely across my face, catching sand and scattering it  amongst the rocks. Dogs had now gone home, but had left their deep footprints behind. 

I have tried to capture  my experience in the image above and to portray a sense of place to the viewer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment