Saturday, May 25, 2024

Exhibition: "Impressions" Eastgate Studio, Beverley 4 May to 15 June 2024

 Exhibition: "Impressions" Eastgate Studio, Beverley 4 May to 15 June 2024

Framed Works on Display:


Funghi, collagraph with watercolour


Into the Woods, sugarlift and etching



Rievaulx Abbey, screen print


I am happy to say that "Funghi" sold in the first week! I am very pleased that it captured someone's enthusiasm.

The Opening

The Opening was very well attended and Susan Leeson made everyone welcome.






Prints also on display in the rack:







Comments

"Impressions" was a great topic to work with. It allowed me to utilise different skills for each of the prints.

"Funghi"

I had seen the funghi in the grounds of Burton Agnes Hall in February when I went on the "Snowdrop" Walk.  I was fascinated by the way the brackets stood out from the dead tree trunk and were so striking and architectural. "Funghi" is a collagraph, a method which enabled me to create very dark areas for the background to contrast with the sharp outline and colour of the funghi shapes. I hand coloured the print with Schmincke watercolours as I thought the use of the bright pigment captured the moment I experienced on the walk. 

"Into the Woods"

The scene is Danes' Dyke near Bridlington on the coast of East Yorkshire. It is the view walking down the steep slope to the beach with the towering trees overhead. The trees line a vast dyke of ancient origin which cuts into the countryside and forms a magnificent sight and exciting walk. The sugarlift process enabled me to create a painterly effect which I think adds to the mysterious atmosphere. I hand painted some of the prints with light watercolour washes to enhance the feel of the leafy glade.

Rievaulx Abbey

This screenprint is intended to emphasise the drama of the destruction of the monasteries under Henry VIII. The destroyed grandeur of the Abbey stands out as a stark silhouette against a flaming sky. What a magnificent building it must have been. One can almost sense the monks in the cloisters and the culture which once existed within the Abbey's walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment