Friday, April 26, 2019

Climate Change : Tidal Surge South Ferriby

Climate Change: South Ferriby


As I have walked around South Ferriby and the River Ancholme I have become significantly more aware about the environment, and in particular about the threats to the area from flooding. I saw evidence of recent floods at the Marina, as I mentioned in my previous post.

I have followed up these observations with research, which has illuminated how the whole area of South Ferriby, Ferriby Sluice and the Cement Works were devastated in 2013 by a massive tidal surge - the worst seen in sixty years.

Global Phenomenon

I do not wish to go into the causes for climate change in detail, or the politics surrounding the issue, but it is a very topical and emotional subject at the moment. Countries all over the world are grappling with the problem and activists have sprung up to bring attention to the need to act. For example,
Extinction Rebellion is a socio-political movement which has undertaken many days of protests across London during April this year and has successfully raised the profile of their aims. They uses nonviolent resistance to protest against climate breakdown, biodiversity loss, and the risk of human extinction and ecological collapse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDhNORiTtOU

 On one occasion they protested in the public gallery at the House of commons and in another, outside the London Stock Exchange. they brought central London to a standstill and about 1,000 people were arrested. During the same period teenage environmentalist Greta Thunberg addressed the crowd.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/04/23/mps-welcomed-by-extinction-rebellion-on-their-return-from-easter-recess


https://www.image.ie/life/greta-thunberg-uk-mps-generations-stolen-147571

Tidal Surge - South Ferriby, 2013

South Ferriby suffered great losses in December 2013, when 129 properties and 1,000 hectares of land were flooded, with an estimated £50m worth of economic loss. The Cement Works were swamped  and caused the plant to be closed for twelve months. People were evacuated from their homes and had to abandoned cars to escape the rising waters.

During my research I have found many images of the devastation caused.

 
Ferriby Sluice Aerial View, 2016
geograph.org.uk
 
CEMEX Cement Works, 2013, car park and football pitch.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Fire and Rescue Services at the site of the "abandoned jetty", South Ferriby,  6 December, 2013
 
 
Relevance to my work
I am aware of these locations at South Ferriby - which forms my case study. Some of the places and objects, such as the "abandoned jetty," have been the subject of some of my prints and paintings. Although I have started to investigate the Marina, I intend to explore the devastation caused to the boats there further as part of my practical work.
The concept of the way that mankind has used the planet and its resources to further trade, commerce and lifestyle choices fits well within the concepts that I am exploring.
Following the floods in 2013, steps have been taken to alleviate the threat from further tidal surges, and I will also be researching and recording what is being done in relation to strengthening local flood defences.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment