Monday, April 8, 2019

Exploring Materials: Aluminium

Exploring Materials: Aluminium

Following my experimentation with the use of steel, I also thought that the use of aluminium as a plate for printing would work well with the idea of the metallic finish of the cement factory. The use of the metal would make a contrast between the man-made structure of the factory and the surrounding natural landscape, emphasising how nature works in harmony with it.

The use of aluminium has the advantage that the metal is quite soft. This means that it is relatively easy to work direct into the surface with etching tools using the technique called "dry point etching". Dry point etching does not involve any use of chemicals.

I made two experiments.

The first image is a view of the factory complex looking over a linked metal fence. In the foreground are some over-hanging branches and some overhead electric cables. I felt that this view captured the industrial feel of the landscape as it incorporated  a mix of typical features that one usually sees in such a setting. The leaves on the branches were well defined and lent themselves to a good line drawing. I achieved some darker tonal areas by the heavier use of the etching tool and cross hatching. This meant that when I applied the ink to the aluminium plate the ink collected inside the grooves to make the darker areas. I used tissue paper and cotton buds to lighten areas on the factory buildings and fence to accentuate where the light was falling.

 

 
The second image is a more delicate scene including a group of daffodils on the river bank opposite the factory complex. It includes mooring posts which run along the edge of the river, and is seen from a low viewpoint. The same technique was used as above. I have included below a photograph of the finished plate and the tools I used. It can be seen how thin and shiny the aluminium metal is to work on. This can be contrasted with the thicker, heavier and duller steel I used in the previous post.
 
 
Above: aluminium
 
Above: steel (detail)
 
Outcome
 
I was satisfied with the two prints I made on the aluminium plate. The metal was easy to work with and straight forward, as I did not have to use acid. The line made with the etching tools gives a "soft" edge because as the tool moves through the metal a "burr" of metal is left at either side of the groove, rather like a furrow in a ploughed field. This feature gives a distinctive look to the finished print. The surface of the steel was harder to work with due to its hardness, but I thought that the bold, dark  outcome suited the subject matter.


 
Future Use
 
I will definitely use aluminium again for future prints. The method is very direct and uncomplicated. I consider that the "burr" effect is especially attractive. I tis good both for "hard" and soft" landscape features.
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment