Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Creating my own Exhibition( 3): Corona Virus "Lockdown", Change of Plans and Prototype

Creating my own Exhibition( 3): Corona Virus "Lockdown", Change of Plans and Prototype

Introduction

When "lockdown" was introduced in March, 2020 and continued into May, it became increasingly apparent that, unfortunately, I would not be able to go ahead with my planned exhibition at The Deep.

I had then to think about what I could do instead.

A lot of Galleries, Museums and artists had already begun to put exhibitions online.

I decided to explore "virtual" exhibitions with a view to creating my own version.

Early explorations and prototype

I am a member of the Hull Print Collective and regularly exhibit with them at various venues. This year we were to hold a Spring Exhibition and I had produced two prints for the exhibition:


On the Bridge, relief print from etching

 Docklands, monoprint

The Spring Exhibition was cancelled and so we explored other avenues. This resulted in the production of the following virtual exhibition:

    https://youtu.be/ggE-kn0tAh4

I approached the person who created the video and had a number of discussions with him. He produced the following "prototype" for me, following the format he had used for the Hull Print Collective:



He could not give me much time, due to other commitments and health issues, but we discussed a number of issues to consider if I were to proceed with producing my own virtual exhibition. These matters included:

- A possible time-line approach, mixing prints & paintings to demonstrate how I "have grown and developed".


- How long I would need each work to be visible on screen.

 - How many words to have alongside each work (limited space).
    
- Whether  to include a zoom, from a detailed view, to a complete view, or the other way round.

- Commentary or music, or neither.

Conclusions

After seeing the videos and having had the discussions, I felt that there was a lot more that I could explore regarding viewer engagement and decided to do further research.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment