Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Exhibition: Print Makers Council, Land, Sea and Sky


Exhibition: Print Makers Council, Land, Sea and Sky
Opening Event, The Ropewalk, Barton upon Humber, 26th October, 2019

Introduction

As a Member of the Ropewalk, Barton Upon Humber Printmakers, I was invited to the Opening of the Printmakers Council’s new Exhibition “Land, Sea and Sky”.
I was particularly interested in seeing some of the work by artists which I personally know, the range of exhibits and all the different processes used.

 
The Exhibition

The opening was well attended by local printmakers and some of the exhibitors, who made themselves available for discussion. I had a long conversation with Sally Beaumont, who I have previously interviewed. Her work is always interesting and this time she did not disappoint with a new photo litho, Lincolnshire Landscape. She is holding a workshop next year at the Ropewalk, and I am hoping to attend and learn more about the process.

Group of local printmakers and exhibitors at the Opening

 I illustrate below some general examples of the work exhibited which was varied and of a very high quality.
 

1.       Clare O Hagan, A Series of Unforseeable Futures

2.       Annette Sykes, legends of land, Sea and Sky II

3.       Helen Baines, That Shirt

4.       Michael Kennedy, Fresh Evidence
 


5.       Roy Willingham, Fragmented Landforms II – Pisa/Rome

6.       Diane McLellan, Wuthering Hawthorne

7.       Kit Boyd, Domain of the Kite

8.       Helen Benson, Sea Views No 2

9.       Sarah Russell, Deep Within

10.   Mary Yazhari, Towering Cliffs

I also took particular notice of prints I felt I could learn from, mostly concerning technique or colour. I have chosen a selection below:

 

 Elizabeth Kelleher, Rock Pooling, dry point etching
 
Caroline Areskog James, Between the Stones of the Past and the Windows of the Future, etching

 
Mary Gillet, Two Trees under a Chaotic Sky, etching
 
 
Alison Bernal, Two Clouds, aquatint
 



Denise Wyllie , Into the Renaissance Night Garden, screen print
 
Victoria Johns Empower IV, monoprint

Hilary Rosen, Blue Boat, monoprint
Summary

The etchings were dramatic and moody, which is often the type of atmosphere I wish to create to reflect the wide-open spaces of the local landscape.
The screen prints and monoprints were more colourful and painterly. The colours used were inspiring, and I felt that the monoprint process is something that I could perhaps experiment with.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment