Wednesday, January 8, 2020

New Topic: The River Hull

New Topic: The River Hull

Introduction

Over the previous twelve months I have been studying the site at South Ferriby, getting to know it, and depicting the landscape. In particular, I have considered how the River Ancholme has affected the area's social, economic and environmental features over the years.

I have researched not only the site, but also the work of other artists who inspire me, relate to my practice, and who I can learn from.

My work has culminated in the Portfolio of new paintings and prints, which feature in my recent Blog entries.

However, I feel that I now need to move on and give myself a greater challenge.

New Site: The River Hull

At this point in my practice I am now ready to tackle a different, more varied and challenging environment to depict the interaction between landscape and human activity.
I was born in Hull and when I travel into the City Centre and cross the bridges over the River Hull I am inspired by the views of the tidal river and industry along its banks. Its history goes back decades. The views and moods change with the tides and unpredictability of the weather. The muddy banks at low tide and the disused warehouses and riverside activity are fascinating. The river has captured my imagination.


Bankside, River Hull

Work Panning
Commencing in January 2020, I will sketch views, take photographs and research the area. I will then continue to progress my painting and print making practice in accordance with the approach I have developed so far.
In particular, I will concentrate on capturing the essence of the natural landscape and industrial heritage along the banks of the River Hull, as it travels through the heart of the city and into the Humber Estuary.
I will continue to experiment with larger paintings and with a restricted palette, concentrating on capturing the mood of the riverside landscape.
My prints will be monochrome, but I will experiment with a variety of shades and hues.
The aim of my work will be to capture what this landscape means to me, and in doing so, I hope to touch the feelings of my audience.
Over the next eight to nine months I will aim to produce at least six large scale paintings and a series of at least six prints.
At the end of that period I will hold a public exhibition of my works, at a venue yet to be decided.
Conclusions
I feel inspired by my choice of a new topic. The site links very well with the themes I have developed over the previous year. The natural environment of the River Hull is very diverse and changing all the time. The river has had a huge impact on the way the city has developed. Its location has brought commerce and industry to the area, which unfortunately, more recently, has been allowed to decay. It is said that Hull is a city of two halves - and this is true. Within the city boundaries there are no fewer than thirteen bridges which span the river. When the bridges are raised for river traffic, the city comes to a halt. Ways of crossing the river, using it as a means of travel and a resource, has lead to the development of Hull's unique culture and character. Flooding has been a real threat, and due to climate change, continues to be. Locks, dredging, and the tidal barrier all play their role. Man-made structures dominate the river and the surrounding area, but wildlife, especially in the Humber Estuary, remains very much in evidence.
I have already started to walk alongside the river and begun to breathe in the landscape, its atmosphere and scope for me as an artist..
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment