Wednesday, January 11, 2023

DRAX: Swerving east, from rich industrial shadows

DRAX: Swerving east, from rich industrial shadows


From Rich Industrial Shadows (2), oil study, monochrome, 40cm x 50cm

For the start of my journey I went to the outer limits of the Humber Estuary and travelled beyond the Ouse to Drax. The landscape has changed since the poem was written in 1961. I reflect those changes in my work, for example the M62 flyover and wind turbines. These modern additions to the scenery reflect my interest in the changing landscape and mankind’s effect on it. I portray the dominance of Drax Power Station on the landscape which are still part coal burning. My first two oil studies (see  above) were inspired by my research on John Virtue. I think that the use of monochrome works well with the subject matter of these studies.

I also did some pencil sketches, small watercolour sketches and experimented with oil on metal, both copper and aluminium.


Drax Power Station, Kremer acrylic water colour


Drax Power Station,  oil on aluminium, 20cm x 25cm

Pencil sketches







My journey to the industrial heartland of Drax gave me a good starting point for my exploration of the Humber Estuary. Next I looked at how the river crossings for traffic along the Ouse and the Humber had changed over time.










No comments:

Post a Comment