Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Photographic Images of Drax, old and new, memories and nostalgia

Photographic Images of Drax, old and new, memories and nostalgia



Drax Village c. 1910

As I take my journey along the Humber Estuary I think about times gone by and the memories associated with the places I visit.

What was the landscape like before the advent of the Drax Power station? What remains?


Drax Village c. 1910



Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul c. 1910


Drax Village 2011

The building of the power station dramatically changed the landscape near and far. 


Drax Power Station being built, 1967

The towers now dominate the village and the skyline:









But some things just carry on:


Farming near Drax, 2022

Note: Once branded as ‘Europe’s biggest polluter’, the owners of the Drax power plant are planning on becoming the world’s first carbon-negative business by absorbing more emissions than they create by 2030.

My work

My work portrays the landscape speaks of today, but with overtones of memory, loss and nostalgia. I use composition, paint handling, shape and tone to build up a narrative of the landscape - as shown through my paintings within this blog.

















No comments:

Post a Comment