Friday, May 19, 2023

The North Sea: Oil Paintings

 The North Sea 

       Shapes and Shingle, oil on wooden panel, 41cm x 51cm


       Beyond a Beach, oil on wooden panel, 41cm x 51cm

On a cold February day I travelled to Hornsea a small coastal town in East Yorkshire. Walking on the beach, the waves crashed into the groins and lashed the shore. The sea was gloomy and brown, but the scene was atmospheric. A few brave souls walked their dogs and children, warmly wrapped up against the cold, ran along the sand. 

Thinking of Larkin's poem "Here" I was reminded of his words about the shapes of the shingle on the shore and the view of the sea beyond the beach. My two paintings echo those thoughts.

My mind also wandered to days gone by, when as a child I came to the same beach with my parents. My father had a motorbike and sidecar and I would sit in the back of the sidecar behind my mother for the journey. My father would go fishing from the shore and my mother and I would sit huddled on the beach beside a windbreaker. We would usually take a primus stove, make a "brew" and eat homemade sausage rolls and egg sandwiches. Those were the days!



No comments:

Post a Comment